test

Sunday, January 16, 2011

it only matters till it doesn't matter anymore

My sister woke me up this morning with a phone call from the other side. Of the Atlantic, that is, although my morning voice probably sounded like it was coming from the other side of the grave. It’s always fun to hear what her kiddos her up to, now that they’re actually little people and say and do stuff that makes for interesting stories. As supposed to eat, poop and sleep which makes for really lame stories I used to space out big time while listening to.

Pontus is the funniest. When told the other day that he really shouldn’t have gotten any presents for Christmas since he is really bad at picking up his toys, he told his dad “Well dad, that’s all up to Santa anyways so it doesn’t matter what you think. Too bad for you!”

And a different day he came into the kitchen crying his heart out because Jennie, his older sister, had declared that she was going to marry Dennis and Pontus was not allowed to marry into their twosome. Not bothering to point out the fact that you’re not allowed to marry your sister to being with, my sister had to comfort him with the fact that Jennie and Dennis still would have to wait a long time before they got married and if Pontus still felt like he wanted to joint their marriage at that point, they would deal with it then.

It’s weird to think of the things you do and don’t question as a child. It never occurred to me that maybe I wouldn’t get married or have children or that I could be homeless or have a job I didn’t like as an adult. But I was real worried about my parents dying before I did and absolutely positive I would have a dog and wear expensive skin crèmes that were pink and smelled good.
I also assumed the friends I had would be my friends forever and when I heard my parents talk about good friends of theirs they hadn’t seen for 10 years I thought that was absolute madness and swore I would never ever go 10 years without seeing my friends.

But then you grow up and life slaps you in the face like the bitch that it is. Sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment