test

Saturday, November 20, 2010

thoughts on a snowy saturday

Homesickness.
Here we go again.

I don’t exactly miss my hometown, or the suburb I grew up in. Although I’m excited about going back to visit, I would never want to live there. I miss my family and friends, but not in a painful “I wish he or she was here right now” kind of way. Well, sometimes I do, but most of the time I just feel like it would be nice to see them more often, be able to call whenever, meet for lunch, just normal stuff like that. What I miss the most is feeling like I belong, fit into the context.

People here act like they’re from soooo far away when they’re from Washington or California. The west coast must be located right next to New Zealand from the way they talk about it.

Most people at work are from Pocatello, people’s old teachers come in to eat, old friends, family, acquaintances and such.
People say things like “oh, you must be Rachel’s sister, I went to school with her” or “your dad stopped by the shop last week, tell him I said hi” or “I’m in your cousin’s class, and our house is down the street from your mom’s”

Well, you get the picture. Nobody ever runs into my dad and if somebody that went to school with my sister were to walk in I promise to run naked around the restaurant.
The first real snow fell heavy over Pocatello today. Guess that’s what made me a little nostalgic. Good thing I have a family on this side of the puddle too, I’m excited to see them next week and even more excited to be spending Christmas with them in a month. I really don’t mean to complain, I’m good where I am and I am determined to make the very best out of our time here.
But when the snow falls, I can’t help but remembering all the snow that falls at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment