test

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

You don't have to buy anything, just come by and hang out...

I went to a Cookie Lee Jewellery sales party last night. It’s just like all those Mary Kay, Tupperware, Sex toys, fragrance candles, whatever you name it-parties. You feel like you have to buy something, anything, or you’ll feel bad. The girl who invited me to this one was not the sales rep though, just the hostess. So I thought I’d actually be able to leave without buying anything if I didn’t find something I liked. Yeah… not so much. I think everyone there ended up buying something; it’s just how those parties work. The sales rep won’t shut up until you shop so just get something cheap and then eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of wine to make up for it.

I only got a pair of earrings from the half off-rack though, so it wasn’t too bad. I would never have paid $11 for them at the store (or $13.36 after tax and shipping fee – what shipping fee? I walked them home myself…) but on the other hand I’m pretty sure I’ll actually end up wearing them at least a few times.

When I lived in Moscow I was suckered into a Mary Kay party somehow, still don’t know quite how it happened. But I remember the lady sales rep’s name was Trudy and that she had on a bright red suit jacket that was broken and ripped in at least five places and that she kept talking about how she had six kids and that this was her way of feeding them. It was a really awkward and uncomfortable situation and I bought a lip gloss I didn’t really like just because I felt like I had to. Yeah… that party sucked. Yesterday was at least half way fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment