test

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Many moons later

Yesterday a girl in my seminar said
”you know you’re old when ‘I’m never drinking again!’ turns into ‘I just can’t drink like I used to’…”

I also overheard two girls talking about rapidly decreasing odds of getting hitched
Girl 1: I feel like I’m never going to find somebody….like really, seriously never.
Girl 2: I know me too! I’m going to be single for ever!
Girl 1: yeah… and even if I do get married it’s going to be super late and I’ll be all old. Like 25!
Girl 2: I know, right….

Then my hearing aid quit working so I didn’t quite catch the rest.
Today Dylan is limping around, claiming he got his first old man injury, playing soccer last night he felt fine and woke up this morning with a pulled hamstring or something.

But personally, I felt the oldest I have in a while when I recently caught myself thinking “how the heck I am supposed to know what an 8 year old thinks is cool, or what a 6 year old would like? ” while shopping for b-day presents.
Then I flashbacked to birthdays of my own, long gone, and remembered rolling my eyes over nerdy, totally not cool presents from my own aunts…. Wondering how it could possibly be so hard for them to realize what was cool versus so not hip I wouldn’t even want to donate it to the less fortunate.

And many moons later, it’s me standing there holding up a tiny little black top with a sparkly print thinking “well, wouldn’t this just look super cute on her!”
At least I’ll be many oceans away when she rolls her eyes at it…

No comments:

Post a Comment