test

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

if I had to pick one...

Sometimes when I have a hard time falling asleep, ride the bus without anything to read (like this morning) or basically just find myself stuck with nothing else than my own thoughts to keep me entertained, I think about all the different talents that people are born with and that I totally lack. You know, like being able to sing, do acrobatic stuff, have photographic memory, draw, juggle, stick spoons down your nose (yes, down your nose, I’ll explain in a minute), speak backwards, kick yourself in the head and so on and so forth.

Then I categorize these talents into groups, like Useful (memorizing stuff), Not as useful but definitely impressive (drawing, singing), Not useful at all but cool for party tricks, oh and here is the explanation. During one of my very first college parties (this was back in Luleå) all the freshmen were encouraged to bust any party trick they might have up their sleeves. So this one guy grabs two large spoons (we were at a bar) and tells the crowd “you can’t touch me while I do this, or make me laugh or anything cause then I might die” then he tilts his head backwards as far as he can and sticks the back if the spoons down his nostrils till only the wide ends of the spoons are poking out of his nose. Everyone was dead silent for probably a whole minute before he pulled them back out. Totally gross, but definitely a talent I haven’t seen anyone else posses. Same with kicking yourself in the head, our friend Ryan from Kentucky can do that.

If I’m still not asleep or off the bus once I’m done categorizing I normally try to decide which one of all the talents I wasn’t gifted with I would choose if I could pick one, but only one. I can really stress myself out doing this too, like God is sitting on a cloud with a giant stop watch in his hand, pointing at me with a gigant finger, “Ten, nine, eight… What is it going to be young lady? Singing or drawing, you know you can’t have both”
and I don’t know. I really don’t know. But it always boils down to singing or drawing, the two talents I really got cheated on. The only person I know who sings worse than me is my mom and she is medically tone deaf. I secretly like to think I am more musically talented than my sister but I am fairly certain she thinks the same of me. When it comes to art, I can draw a princess that will impress my 6 year old niece, but probably not anybody else.
If I had to choose, I would pick singing though. I would. Or drawing. No, singing. Singing it is. An important decision has been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment