test

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

waisting words on over thinking

Communication, it’s a funny thing. I have never been a fan of the phone, if I can avoid calling people.. I always try.
I like e-mails. I like facebook.
I see the convenience of texting but I don’t like to have whole conversations that way.
I find it fascinating the way different people express themselves in these different forms of communication.

Whenever I would try instant message with my mom for example, she’d write every little message like a letter, starting with dear Åsa and ending with love mom. It was cute. I told her she didn’t have to do it for every little three sentence message; that it was more like talking. She did it anyway. It was her thing. It was cute.

I don’t use facebook for work purposes a lot, but it happens. And when I do, my messages are always less formal then had I typed them in my e-mail account. Because it’s facebook. It’s by definition a non-formal way of communication. Ending a facebook message with Best Regards would be like wearing a cocktail dress to class. If you ask me.

Am I over thinking this? Of course. That’s the whole point.

I use smiley faces and type out “haha” but have never used lol, nor am I planning to. Most of the time it doesn’t bother me when people do, it’s just not my flavour. Kind of like Dr Pepper.

I think it’s weird when you type a pretty long and detailed e-mail or message and get just an “Ok” back. Makes me feel like I just gave away an elaborate gift basket with wine, cheeses, the works and got a popsicle in return.

It’s also funny how some people always answer texts, regardless of whether the text was one that actually needed a response. And others don’t answer unless you specifically tell them to, or wait a day or two to reply.

Over thinking it. Yes. Well, I’m bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment